- creating value for customers in selected segments
- pioneering products and services for the transport and infrastructure industries
- driving quality, safety and environmental care
- working with energy, passion and respect for the individual"
Vehicles for growth and development
Efficient transport is crucial for societal and economic development and a key component in modern society. Our products and services play a vital role in everyday life. Our trucks, buses, engines, construction equipment and aircraft components are involved in many of the functions on which most of us rely on every day. We work to continuously improve the transportation of goods and people.
We have a long history of developing pioneering products and services for the transport and infrastructure industries. In addition, we are convinced that our products and services will also play an important part in the sustainable society. Our future success depends on continuing to develop pioneering products and services and converting them into financially viable products and services.
We develop tomorrow's transport solutions today.
Part of the problem – and the solution
While our products and services are closely linked to growth and societal development, they also contribute to climate change, emissions, congestion and traffic related accidents. Transportation is essential but need to be made sustainable.
As one of the world's leading manufacturers of transport and infrastructure solutions we have a responsibility and opportunity to address the challenges. Over the years, the Volvo Group has faced challenges that were seemingly impossible to solve. However, as a result of hard work and decisiveness, we now have a history filled with examples of innovative products and services that solved many of the challenges we faced.
- Since the early 1990s, emissions of nitrogen oxides and particulate matters from a Volvo truck have been cut by more than 90%
- The fuel consumption and the CO2 emissions in a Volvo truck has been cut by 40% since 1975
- In 2006, the Volvo Group was the first manufacturer to present commercially viable hybrid trucks and buses, which enable highly energy efficient transports
- In 2007, the Volvo Group presented seven trucks that can all be operated on different renewable fuels
- In 2007, the Volvo Group became the world's first vehicle manufacturer to achieve a CO2 neutral assembly plant
- Since 2004, the Volvo Group has decreased energy consumption in own production processes by 46% per produced unit
- R&D by the Volvo Group has resulted in many innovative safety solutions, such as driver alert support, adaptive cruise control and front under run protection system
We take an active role in shaping future transport solutions.
Working together with other actors in society
Our involvement goes beyond our products. We take an active role in shaping the transport systems of tomorrow. Transport solutions are based on several interdependent components. Our products and services are important components of the transport system and they must fit into the existing infrastructure. The system thereby sets the framework for our products. If transports are to continue to be a driving force for socio-economic development and generate profitability for our customers, the transport system needs to be improved and made more efficient. We cooperate and partner with other actors in order to develop infrastructure for renewable fuels and efficient transport systems.
As one of the world's leading manufacturers of transport and infrastructure solutions, we develop tomorrow's solutions today.
Sustainable transport solutions
The Volvo Group defines sustainable transport solutions as solutions that “improve the short- and long-term economic and environmental performance while also taking social impact into consideration". This can be done by providing:
The above model outlines the three cornerstones of sustainable transport solutions. It is in the intersection – where the circles meet – transport is made sustainable and ultimately the Volvo Group’s vision is achieved.
1. The right product and service for high productivity
We aim to provide the right products and services to achieve energy efficient transport and attain high productivity in the transport system. The end user of our products and their customers expect reliable and cost-effective transport services. We strive to increase the market for sustainable products by developing commercially viable customer offerings.
By promoting the most resource efficient product available today, like hybrids, we deliver reduced environmenal impact and lower operation costs for our customers. This is one important path on the transformation towards sustainable transport systems.
2. Energy efficient transport solutions
We strive to provide products that enable more transport using fewer resources. It is in the use phase of our products that most achievements can be made to increase efficiency. We therefore focus on reducing the environmental impact of products in use by developing:
- energy-efficient drivelines
- hybrid drivelines
- vehicles that can be operated on alternative and renewable fuel
Attitudes and behavior are also important factors for sustainable transports. We therefore offer services and solutions that help our customers use our products in the most efficient way possible
3. Safe and secure transport solutions
As transports increase, traffic safety becomes increasingly important. We focus our research and development on active and passive safety solutions.
There is an increased demand for security equipment that protects the driver, vehicle and goods. Modern technology enables protection in an efficient manner.
Transports are essential for a modern society, but need to be made sustainable.