Air passenger travel up 6%

International Air Transport Association (IATA) reported international traffic for February 2011 showing increases of 6% for passenger and 2% for cargo traffic compared to the same month in 2010. The overall passenger load factor declined to 73% from 75% in February 2010. IATA has revised down its airline industry outlook for 2011 to a profit of USD 8.6 billion from the USD 9.1 billion it projected in December 2010, due to higher oil prices.

Airbus and Boeing announced 222 orders in the first quarter of this year, up 39% compared to same period last year. The aircraft manufacturers expect to deliver more than 1,000 aircraft this year.

Airbus has received 332 orders and commitments for the A320neo and A321neo since the launch of the aircraft late last year, with 240 aircraft to be powered by Pratt & Whitney’s PW1100G.