Skip to content

Annual Report 2007

The Volvo Group is the first heavy duty vehicle manufacturer to develop seven different demonstration trucks that can all be driven without any emissions of climate-impacting carbon dioxide. The trucks, which were showcased at a large, much-noted event in Stockholm, Brussels and Washington D.C., have diesel engines that were modified to operate on seven different renewable fuels, in both liquid and gaseous form.

We are a part of the climate problem, but we have shown that carbon-dioxide-neutral transport is a possibility and that we as a vehicle manufacturer want to be a part of the solution," says Volvo CEO Leif Johansson.

The seven Volvo FM trucks have been equipped with Volvo’s own 9-liter engines, which have been specially modified by the Group’s engineers to show the possibilities of carbon-dioxide-neutral transport.

According to the much-noted Stern report, about 14% of the total worldwide carbon-dioxide emissions come from transport – road transport account for a total of 10%. No data is available as to how much of these emissions in turn come from cargo transport. An estimate based on European conditions and statistics, in which cars account for 60% of the carbon-dioxide emissions and cargo transport for the remaining 40%, indicates that cargo transport accounts for about 4-5% of total carbon-dioxide emissions worldwide.

 
Volvo Construction Equipment
© copyright AB Volvo 2008